Getting Started and Download
Basics: The SmartSoft World
SmartSoft nowadays is an umbrella term for abstract concepts and tools to build robotics systems: a systematic development methodology, best practices, implementations and components. The SmartSoft World includes (a non-complete list):
- The SmartMDSD Toolchain: an Integrated Development Environment (IDE) for robotics software development using model-driven software development.
- The SmartMARS MetaModel: It defines the structures behind the service-oriented and component-based approach.
- The SmartSoft Framework and implementation: two exchangeable reference implementations (current: ACE middleware, former: CORBA middleware) and execution containers for several platforms and operating systems.
- A repository with components for immediate reuse to compose new applications (sensor access, skills, task sequencing, knowledge representation, etc.)
Getting Started: For Beginners
Get Started with the SmartSoft World in a Virtual Machine (PDF Tutorial): we guide you through the first steps of using SmartSoft in a Virtual Machine:
- The Virtual Machine is based on Ubuntu 12.04, includes the SmartMDSD Toolchain, SmartSoft reference implementation, software components and examples. Use Virtual Box to import the VM appliance.
- Why use SmartSoft? Read about the benefits and the User Study
- Watch the video Tutorials to use the SmartMDSD Toolchain
- Visit the YouTube Channel for latest videos and demonstrations
I want to use it all: For Full Fledged User
In order to use all the available components and even develop new components, we strongly recommend to install our software:
- Install the SmartMDSD Toolchain to develop own components, to compose components to applications and to deploy them.
- Read the toolchain user manual and watch the screencasts
- Browse component store to see what components are available for immediate reuse
- For Robotino Owners: use SmartSoft with the FESTO Robotino Robot Platform (SmartSoft is officially supported by FESTO Robotino): SmartSoft@OpenRobotino, Robotino Service Portal
I want to learn more: Concepts, internals and foundations for Experts
- Read the User Study for experiences with and opinions about SmartSoft and the SmartMDSD Toolchain.
- Browse the Technical Reports and the Publications, Talks/Slides, Student Work, etc.
- Use SmartSoft with ROS: ROS Gateway (currently not being maintained)
- Use SmartSoft with the MORSE Simulator (currently not being maintained)
- Learn about robotic behavior
- Use SmartSoft and Gazebo to run the PAL robotics Tiago platform in simulation